The laboratory provides fee-based services for liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry-based (LC–MS) analysis of metabolites, lipids, and exposome compounds in biological materials.
For our client’s projects, we use an LC−MS workflow LIMeX (LIpids, Metabolites and eXposome compounds) for simultaneous extraction of complex lipids, polar metabolites, and exposome compounds that combines LC–MS targeted and untargeted analysis. For human cohort studies, we usually report over 500 complex lipids, 100 polar metabolites, and tens of exposome compounds (mainly food components and pharmaceutical drugs).
Targeted analysis is available for specific low-abundant lipid mediators (eicosanoids, endocannabinoids, and fatty acid esters of hydroxy fatty acids (FAHFA)) and steroids.
We also measure metabolites labeled with stable isotopes using 13C/2H glucose and 2H2O tracers (fluxomics).
For ADME studies, we develop and validate analytical methods for targeted analysis of potential drug candidates in line with the GLP requirements.
The laboratory is equipped with a high-resolution mass spectrometer (Thermo Q Exactive Plus) coupled with a liquid chromatograph (Thermo Vanquish) and a quadrupole/linear ion trap mass spectrometer (SCIEX QTRAP 5500) coupled with a liquid chromatograph (Dionex/Thermo Ultimate 3000 RSLC) and direct infusion sampler.
The metabolomic data sets are processed using up-to-date software programs, including also annotation of lipids, polar metabolites, and other detected compounds using in-house, open-source as well as commercial MS/MS spectral libraries. The data obtained are further processed using one-dimensional or multidimensional statistical methods.
- Combined untargeted and targeted analysis of complex lipids (LIMeX)
- Combined untargeted and targeted analysis of polar metabolites and exposome compounds (LIMeX)
- Targeted analysis of specific low-abundant lipid mediators and steroids
- Targeted analysis of metabolites labeled with stable isotopes
- Targeted analysis of pharmaceutical compounds for the ADME studies
- Plasma/serum, tissues (e.g., liver, heart, lungs, muscle, adipose tissue), cells, exosome, milk
LIMeX workflow for untargeted and targeted analysis of complex lipids, polar metabolites, and exposome compounds
- Paluchova et al., Diabetes 69 (2020) in press (doi: 10.2337/db19-0494)
- Brezinova et al., Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids 1865 (2020) 158576 (doi: 10.1016/j.bbalip.2019.158576)
- Angelisová et al., Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembr 1861 (2019) 130–141 (doi: 10.1016/j.bbamem.2018.08.006)
- Sládek et al., Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids 1864 (2019) 158533 (doi: 10.1016/j.bbalip.2019.158533)